As the Head of Software Engineering at GiveDirectly, you will help to design and execute on our vision to use technology to fundamentally transform the charity industry. We aspire to be the most transparent, accountable, and data-driven charity in the world, and need a leader who can translate that vision into original, innovative digital applications that change the way that donors connect with program participants and with one another. We have started building these types of applications (see: GDLive beta) and now need a leader who can accelerate our progress.
You have experience managing teams of engineers in a high-performance, agile environment. You’re not afraid to roll your sleeves up and dive into code, but can also provide mentorship and leadership to the broader team. You should be comfortable working with team members across departments in a high-growth environment, synthesizing business and user needs into digital solutions.
- Work closely with GiveDirectly’s management team to define technology roadmap
- Lead delivery of high-quality, well-tested, intelligently-architected code
- Ensure that engineering deliverables meet business goals, requirements, and timelines
- Attract and hire top-notch engineering talent, growing the team while maintaining high standards of engineering excellence
- Continually seek ways to optimize and improve development processes, organizational shortfalls, and other inefficiencies
We are looking for people with:
- Proven experience leading software engineering teams to deliver highly-polished consumer-facing software applications
- Deep knowledge of front and back-end web technologies. You’ll be expected to start from scratch and make decisions on how we build what we build.
- Strong people skills, with an ability to motivate teams of high-powered individuals to work together to achieve stellar results
- Competency managing budgets and staffing complex projects with ambitious roadmaps
- Experience implementing and enforcing solid, consistent agile methodologies
- Intensely self-motivated, proactively identifying problems and proposing solutions without being asked
- A willingness to give and receive direct, honest feedback
- Interest in the GiveDirectly mission to reshape international giving
GiveDirectly aims to reshape international giving. We provide an end-to-end platform that enables funders to provide direct cash transfers to people living in extreme poverty. We are among the fastest-growing international development non-profits and are recipients of a Google Global Impact Award and a top rating from GiveWell.
Our unorthodox approach – allowing the poor, and not the donor, to choose how to invest capital – has driven debate both in press and policy circles (e.g., NPR’s This American Life, Foreign Affairs, The Economist, New York Times, The Guardian). We are also known for our extensive integration of technology into field processes; our quantitative approach to performance measurement; and our commitment to rigorous, independent, experimental evaluation of our impact, with one Randomized Controlled Trial completed and multiple additional RCTs in progress.
We are looking for exceptional talent to help build a startup into a world-class organization. Our culture is professional, analytical, non-hierarchical, fast-paced, and blunt, and we’re looking for people that match that description. We are open to candidates from any industry; we typically recruit from top private-sector firms and offer competitive salary and benefits.